Tuesday, September 15, 2009

the king of pop

So today's post is dedicated to the king of pop. I started rehearsing a piece for the dance concert that is a medley of his music including Billie Jean, Want to be Starting Something, Thriller, and Smooth Criminal. Gonna be an amazing dance and so much fun. MJ was an amazing dancer and got to work with some amazing choreographers, notably Michael Peters, who is featured in the video for Beat It. Which incidentally is one of my of favorite Michael songs. In a dance history/appreciate class I took last year, we talked a lot about how Michael influenced dance, pop music, and music videos. He really helped create music videos into a form of art and helped showcase dance on television. I love that people are still using moves from his videos today. Thriller was a short film in itself and While he had a very strange and sad personal life, he gave so much to dance and music. Here are the videos for Beat It and Thriller, my two personal favorites in terms of music and dance. (btw, did you know that Thriller is the most successful music video ever? It's in the Guiness Records apparently) Oh and the Fall Out Boy cover of Beat It, because I think it's pretty good. John Mayer does the guitar solo (originally done by Eddie Van Halen, though I don't see John in the video.....)

Beat It http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqxo1SKB0z8

Thriller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyJbIOZjS8

Fall Out Boy cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI-0Hgu8mUk

So in closing, come see our medley at the fall dance concert!! My roommate just made chocolate chip cookies so I must go enjoy :)

1 comment:

Bradford said...

John opted out for the video.... had a case of the too cools :P can't wait for the dance concert :)